Call 01543 37 37 00
Home > Landlords > Unoccupied Property Insurance

Unoccupied Property Insurance

More than 700,000 residential properties in England are left unoccupied, according to the charity empty property. These vacant properties are often managed by people taking responsibility for the estate or affairs of another person or while a property is awaiting sale. However, many wrongly assume that existing buildings and contents cover would provide adequate protection should something go wrong and as a result hundreds of thousands of homes are currently uninsured.

Standard residential property insurance is insufficient because most policies state that your property must not be unoccupied for more than 30 days.

If an existing insurer does agree to cover a vacant property, it will only be for a short period of time – typically no more than three months – and elements of cover, such as water or malicious damage, may be withdrawn.

This means that in the event of a burst pipe causing a flood, for example, the insurance wouldn't cover the cost of any damage to the building or its contents.

However, it is possible to get unoccupied house insurance cover from a specialist unoccupied insurer which will cover the property for a longer period of time.

Using our specialist knowledge and our expert panel of insurers, at Top Marques Insurance we can offer unoccupied property insurance cover that may not be available from other insurers, such as:

  • The  choice of 3 different levels of unoccupied property insurance cover including full policy cover with subsidence cover.
  • 3,6,9 months policies as well as 12 months policies.
  • Interest free direct debit (offering pro-rata cancellation  on annual policies)
  • Suitable for properties undergoing renovation, awaiting probate, pending sale or pending let
  • Standard policy excess starting from £250 for general claims and £1,000 for subsidence claims.
  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Damage by fall of aircraft
  • Storm, tempest or flood
  • Water leakage from fixed water tanks, equipment or pipes
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Impact by vehicle or animal
  • Riots, strikes, civil commotion and malicious damage
  • Subsidence, landslip or heave
  • Falling or collapse of radio and television aerials (buildings only),  Falling trees

General Terms and Conditions

  • The property must not be boarded or bricked up, the letter box does not  need to be  sealed
  • All entrance/exit doors must have 5 lever mortise deadlocks or 3 point locking systems if double glazed and all accessible windows must have pre designed key operated locks.
  • During winter months the central heating system must either be drained or the property kept at a consistent 13 degrees Celsius.
  • The property must be viewed at least every 21 days.
  • Properties undergoing renovation will be subject to acceptance on dependent on scope of works.

Winter Loss Prevention Guide (PDF)
Property Care Guide (PDF)

Request a call

I agree with the terms & conditions

Get a Quote

© Copyright , All Rights Reserved, Top Marques Insurance
Top Marques Insurance trading style of Sportauto Limited
Registered in England and Wales No: 2993405

Site Developed by: Five Rivers | IT Support | Internet Marketing